French Drains and Other Joys

Thursday, March 09, 2006







This is a more scenic view of the north-side drain into the easement.









You can see how it looked first thing this morning, viewing the opening in the fence, and, through it, the sea of mud in the alley. (Carl even commented on the quality of the clay. He said his wife was quite horrified when he got home covered with it.)




They arrived early with concrete with which to reset the fence posts, and proceeded to do that. Carl says the posts were all in good shape, and just needed to be reset, with a lot of cement to hold them. I notice other fences in the neighborhood that are listing, and imagine that they have soil similar to ours.


By 10:30 they had finished and said good-bye. I asked Carl about the lawn, and he suggested we get some peat moss or other light soil and rake it in over those spots. The grass will just grow through, he says. That sounds easy enough, and I think he's right.




He pointed out the two effluents--the one on the south, going into the easement, for the French drain. You can see the water flowing out of it.



The one on the north comes from the roof. You may notice that the driveway on the north is very muddy, too. I'm going to have to order gravel for that, and more gravel for the back as well.


Please note that one of the north drain views is more scenic and shows the alley.


I also have one more very close-up trench shot here, where you can get a real feel for the quality of the soil and the transition from topsoil to clay.




It wasn't raining at that point, so it meant that some good draining has been taking place. It is, however, raining again now, as David knows, since LA is about to get the same storm we are. I'm assuming Martin and Judith and family and Ann Marie and fam have also been feeling it. This is the coldest storm of the season, and here it is, March. It's also about to bear down on Colorado, so you guys out there aren't going to be dry either. We shall see what the drains do with more rain.


I'm glad Primo won't be here next week. He'd be heartsick to see all the damage to things he's carefully planted over the past months. Now he can really get to work, though, when he gets back. I'll have lots for him to do.


By the way, I also need to get the last stretch of railroad ties fixed. I don't know if Primo can do that or not. We may need a carpenter to help.

I chopped a little wood this afternoon, which made me feel better, and now I actually think I'm getting better.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home