French Drains and Other Joys

Wednesday, March 08, 2006













It's Wednesday evening in the week of drains. Drains and rains, rains and drains. My friend Caroline says she doesn't remember a winter like this, when it kept raining for so long. It's turned cold again, and the storm heading down from the Arctic is more like a January storm than one in March--so said our local usually-stoic weather forecaster. He's the one who usually tries to give us golfing weather when it's already darkening to rain outside. Now he's not so optimistic.

So, it's a good thing the job here is almost done. I took most of the pictures this morning, when the trench outside the diningroom was still open. You can see how the gravel goes in, and there are some close-ups of the soil. You can see clearly where the topsoil leaves off and the clay begins. Also, note how much water is in the ditch.
In the afternoon I took some pictures showing the grass more or less back to normal. The lawn is slumping in spots, and I wonder if that will need taking care of.

You will see that the little fence behind the garden shed has been replaced, but the big fence is still in progress. I am also concerned that the patio is cracked through--undoubtedly a combination of the Bobcat's continual passing over it and the wet soil underneath. I'm going to ask Carl what he suggests.

We had a bit of consternation this noon when I got home from my small group meeting. The guys had severed some coaxial cable out in the alley, which surprised them, since they'd accounted for all existing underground entities, they thought. Pebble Beach had no idea what it could be. I called Mary Lou across the street, thinking it could have to do with their short wave radio, but she said that wasn't it. So we have no idea. I guess we won't worry about it. In any case, it's Stowe's responsibility.

My cold still hangs on, and, if anything, feels a little worse today. (In fact, Mary Lou across the street says I should prepare for three weeks' duration. Yuk!) I spent the afternoon resting, and plan on an early retirement tonight. I'm eating lots of soup. In fact, I made a delicious mustard green soup with some of the greens I salvaged from the herb garden (which has survived rather nicely, in spite of everything). You just saute about 5 garlic cloves in olive oil, add a chopped onion, some chopped green onion, about a bunch of mustard greens chopped (but not too fine--just small pieces), cook until wilted; then add two cans of chicken broth, a can of water and cook for 20 minutes. At that point, add 1/2 cup of small pasta and cook for another 10 minutes. It's just delicious.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home